Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Apparently I don't look "Catholic"

I was talking to an instructor working in the advising center about the mass she assisted with the music. Then another instructor I have known for 22 years says "Gee I didn't know you were Catholic"!?!?! He then proceeds to ask if I knew the late Fr. Wiggs (I did from the boy scouts) from Humboldt.

I get it all the time: "Gee, I didn't know you are Catholic" , You sure don't act Catholic". I even ge the "gee, I thought you were Southern Baptist" comment.

I think it (the comments) all originates from the likelyhood that I might be one of the few Catholics encountered by some in West Tennessee.

Did I miss out on the the membership card to carry or special mark or "look" in my 12 years of K-12 Catholic education? Didn't someone give me the right password or handshake to use in public? Do I look that natural out of tie and uniform? I admit, I graduated from HS over 30 years ago, I guess I lost the "look".

I live in rural West Tennessee (Jackson TN) , and usually there are not many catholics, but in our first house, we were next door to catholic families. In fact there were 4 Catholic families in a row next door to each other. It was all done randomly, and we bumped into each other at mass at one happenschance sunday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Funny, she doesn't look drewish.

Spaceballs

3:43 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

whats this about priest help wnated ads?

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home