Friday, July 29, 2005

A odd thing at prayer break

When I take a short prayer break at St Mary's Church in Jackson TN, often I am the only person in the chapel.

This past week, I took a break and went in the Eucharist chapel (the main sanctuary was closed). A lady was lying on the floor faced down while holding a rosary and clutching the bottom of the altar. Her children (maybe 3, 4, or 5) were seated next to her. There was another person (a man) who appeared to be in contemplative prayer (possibly of personal discernment) was there as well.

It was an odd and unusual prayer method. I was taken aback, but being Irish...I can act as if I don't notice the situation.

Did I miss something in Culture 101? Is laying facedown on the floor holding on to the bottom of the altar a ritual in some ethnic group's prayer ritual?

What did I do? I acted oblivious and prayed and left. BUT it was a striking situation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Lying prostrate on the floor is a biblical prayer stance. In the middle of the day holding on to the alter is a little much.However, I doubt seriously that she was asking for something innane. If she was in that stance in th middle of the day, my guess is that she was desperately seeking the Lord for a major situation.

Be thankful that is as unusual as it gets there. Up here in Memphis, there is a guy that goes around to the different Adoration Chapels dressed full on like Jesus. It is very odd.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Fred Deaton said...

I grew up in Memphis. I worked at a Community college on Union Ave (77-84). I lived in an apartment near Memphis State. I watch professional wrestling. I used to volunteer at the suicide crisis line in Memphis. I am a counselor, so I've seen Odd.

I don't know, maybe I'm starting to act like (gasp) my dad and old age.... His solution: "everything would be better if we went back to Latin mass!" I liked the latin, but only as a kid daydreaming in church in the early 60's.

Odder was one time when I was praying at St Mary's, a little elderly filipino woman tried to genuflect. She fell right flat back on her back. FLAT ON HER BACK. Her Husband (who was even more elderly) almost had a heart attack trying to help her. I had to help her up to help him!

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home