Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Going to Miami was nice, but seeing a friend was the best

I learned a lot at the NA-ADA-C meeting. It was simply lectures by OCR, EEOC< and Department of Education lawyers discussing legal issues in colleges.

I also for the most part (more later) enjoyed the adventure of traveling to, being in, and traveling from Miami. BUT the best part of the trip was seeing an old friend.

Joe and I went from K-4 to 12th grade together. We basically grew up as friends and have been friends for (since age 4) now 48 years. There were 5 of us that started in kindergarten and finished 12 grades. But only I and Joe went straight through without leaving, coming/going or changing schools. To put this more clearly, we went 2 years to kindergarten, 8 years at St Paul School, and 4 years at Bishop Byrne High School. Other close friends came and went Paul W., David B., Sherrie W., Connie W., Sydney W. to name a few. David B is an interesting story. I saw David in 2001 at Joe's father's house for the first time since 8th grade. He went from 8th grade to a Jesuit Military Boarding School, and we thought we had it tough with the Dominican Nuns in High school!!!!!!! Poor David had to deal with Jesuit strictness, military discipline, and being away from home.

Anyway, Joe and I have been able to keep in touch over those years since high school. We were talking and remembering while in Miami. He said he was amazed (now even more) that his father was able to send 6 kids though catholic schools. I admit that I too am amazed that my dad was able to be a single parent and send one kid though school, while working on the Railroad as a switchman. I can remember my dad working nights and having layoff times from work without pay.

Joe and I have both commented on the quality of our education and how it provided the foundation of our later college education.

South Beach area of Miami Beach is a fun loving place where the young and hip and fun seekers go. I personally was amazed at Joe skill in Spanish. He majored in English and Spanish in college and there Spanish seed a requisite to exist and function. My degree was in History and Political Science. Joe later worked on a Master’s degree in Spanish and I worked on a Master’s in counseling to be a therapist. Joe continued his work at UPS after finishing college, and on a whim submitted a resume for management. With his foreign language skills and skill as a driver and training/supervising drivers…he was then on a fast track to UPS team to plan and develop services to Puerto Rico, Mexico, and then every other Central and South American country. That is what led him to be an executive for UPS operations for the West Indies, Central, and South America.

One thing, visiting Joe made me reacquire was a return to my favorite drink (well maybe second to Jack-Black and coke), Rum and coke. As a 20 something guy 30 years ago, I thrived on rum and coke. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Rum. Rum/Coke is Joe’s signature drink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home