Monday, December 12, 2005

Well to catch everybody up,

Dad did finally get moved to Milan. He came by my house Sunday and borrowed my hand truck to help move around some boxes at the new house. Now the little things like getting the cable started have to be done.

He really likes the town of Milan and he likes being closer to me as I am glad he is closer to me as well.

I paid for the Christmas party at work, but I am also going to experiment with a recipe for a Chess Pie like they used to make at Britlings Cafeteria in Memphis. This will be my food donation. It’s not a hard recipe to follow, and I hope it’s legit enough to taste like the pies of my youth.

I guess this is my sensitive side, but I like to cook. I make a mean Lasagna and spaghetti sauce. I make a real good apple sauce pie. I can also make a pretty good Irish stew (sans the mutton), and also a great Brunswick stew (the secret is adding a little chicken and beef to the pork ingredient).

By the way, the secret of spaghetti sauce is brown a pinch of ground pork (sausage if you must) and ground lamb (this can be omitted if you are unable to find any ground lamb) in the beef for the meat sauce. Brown the meat in olive oil. Chop the veggies, such as onions as small as possible is another secret tool for good sauce. Microwave the bay leaf before including it in the sauce (keep the bay leaf whole so it is easy to remove at the end of cooking). Boil the noodles in chicken broth, because the broth unlocks the noodle flavor. Also add a little olive oil to the boiling noodles. There you have it, some of the secrets to great sauce and meal.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Romer said...

Thanks for the spaghetti tips; they will come in handy for the Memphis Italian Fest! But what is a Chess Pie? Please forgive my ignorance, but I have never heard of that one.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Fred Deaton said...

The Chess Pie simply defined, this unique southern dish is in one recipe version a pecan-less Pecan Pie.

The recipe I used is older and more southern and akin (distantly) to an Irish Curd Pie or an English Lemon-Curd Pie (without the lemon).

Many people have made suggestions as to where the name Chess in Chess Pie came from. Some say early settlers and early english spelled cheese with one "e" (Ches). Some say it came from the term "Pie Chest", a storage place for the pies. Still other say it came from the term when someone asked what it was, it was "jes pie".


Because I don't have your e-mail address, Write me at fdeaton@jscc.edu amd I'll send you the recipe. Its real easy to make.

The recipe I followed uses cheese, but most chess pies use lots of eggs and sugar with a touch of heavy cream.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Fred Deaton said...

Carl Jung calls dreams God's forgotten language. http://www.dreamanalysis.info/ is a great web site to have your dream evaluated.

btw, here is the recipie I used and will use at the President's Christmas Party at the college:

BRITLING CHESS PIE, as printed in the Commercial Appeal in 1994

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup grated cheese, 1 cup milk, 5 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, 1 tbsp. corn meal, 1 tbsp. flour, 2 tbsp. melted margarine, 2 tbsp. whipping cream, 9-inch pie crust, unbaked

DIRECTIONS
Combine grated cheese with milk and heat, but do not boil. Mix egg yolks, sugar, corn meal and flour, stirring to blend, then add to cheese mixture. Add margarine and cream, stirring by hand to mix well.

Pour into a 9-inch unbaked pie crust and bake in preheated oven at 375 about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the edge comes out clean. Makes 9 inch pie

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home