Friday, June 17, 2005

The passing of my friend JD Doherty

A friend passed away on Wednesday June 15, 2005 at 3:00pm.

He was a friend I grew up with. As a person with disabilities growing up in the 60’s, I had few role models.

I met JD when I joined the Boy Scouts in 1964. I was 11 and he was 16. JD was 4 years older and really was a person to watch and pattern. Like me, he had visible disabilities. We both had mobility challenges, but he had visual challenges and I have hearing challenges. It was a natural friend ship. Even our school friends connected, his best friend in school is the older brother of my best friend in school.

JD accomplished so much. For example: he earned his eagle, so I saw this was possible and earned mine. He was a strong participant in the parish, so (following his pattern) I became a strong and faithful participant and professes as a believer. We all know how hard it is for someone with hearing challenges to participate in a worship activity. I have always thought that in this respect (showing me faith by example) he was an angel.

You may know his name. Even though you may not have met him, he is a name you may know. This JD is the James Doherty in the Doherty -v- SCO. It was a most noted 504 case. I won’t rehash the legal or the personal issues of the decision, but it is an often-quoted case to justify the addition of skill requirements and essential skills for requiring a disabled person to meet to enter or complete a program.

Why do I mention this? Because if I had not met him, I might have never considered excelling in everything I do like going to college, getting a masters degree, and most importantly believed in myself as a person able to do and meet life’s challenges.

Even with the shortcomings of 504 and ADA, life before such legislation was much tougher. I remember scoring top score in standardized reading test in the 5th grade (there were 3 sections for a total of 75 typical students) with major disabilities and it floored the teachers (in St Paul Grade School) that such a handicapped person could be so smart. Back then (and even sometimes now); disability is equated with intelligence (concept back then seemed to be the more disability the less intelligence).

For those of you whowant to know, his funeral is Saturday at St Paul Catholic Church in Memphis. The family asks that any memorial donations be sent to St Paul Church at 1425 Shelby Drive in Memphis TN 38116.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home