Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Sister "Old Ironsides" OP

Here is a St Paul school story from the past and present.....................

"Old Ironside" is the phrase Fr Cashin used to describe our eighth grade teacher, Sister Jerome, in 1966 as the toughest nun on either side of the Mississippi River.

A couple of years ago, I stopped by St Cecelia's Motherhouse in Nashville to visit with former teachers of 30-40 years ago. I stopped at the imposing 20 food wrought Iron Gates and pushed the button on the speaker. I said "I want to stop and visit with former teachers from my school days". Silensce, and the "I remember you"... and the gate slowly opened. Greeting me at the door was a sweet old nun who stopped and talked to me. Lo and behold Sr. Jerome the toughest, meanest, and strictest nun EVER to hold a ruler had become a sweet older nun in retirement. WHAT A metamorphosis. Boy my perception of a person who could take on the toughest of the toughest with a steel cold stone cold stare had changed. She is the singular reason I stammer and sweat when a nun today asks me a direct question.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Don May said...

Hey Fred...you probably don't remember me, Donald May...but I went to St. Paul and Bishop Byrne.

Looks like you have overcome any disabilities that faced you and have made a good life for yourself.

KUDOS to you. And loved the story about Sister Jerome. My nemesis was Sister Vianney...but I had so many favorites through my education, just because she hit me on the head with a big book and knocked me into next year for absolutely nothing...well, that probably was deserved for all of the times I didn't get caught!

Love ya Fred. Keep bloggin'!

Don

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home